EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Brett Zombro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:03:52 -0400
At 06:43 PM 8/31/99 +0000, Bill Wagner wrote:

>The only absolute standard for anything passing as journalism is factual
>accuracy, a standard which one would hope was observed by Ms See.

This is debatable.  A minor point, perhaps, but her summary of
events in Pound's life in the 1930s is somewhere between incorrect
and misleading.  When I said that part of the article was inexcusably
sloppy, or whatever it was that I said, I was looking at this in light of
the fact that she was in close contact with Espey and could have quite
easily gotten the chronology right if she had cared.

Otherwise, I agree that the article is mainly about Mary and gives a
reasonably engaging portrait of her.  Carlo has a point about the
scandal of someone considering herself a 'novelist' making such
casual dismissals of a great deal of 20th century poetic and critical
activity.   But then, there are lots of 'novelists' who do not seem to care
much for literature.

>Her opinions
>can be debated, but her right to express them should be unchallenged.

Nobody, I think, is challenging anybody's right to express opinions.
You're going a bit overboard.

--
Brett Zombro