EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stephen J Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2014 11:11:35 -0400
Dear Roxana Preda:

Since no one else has taken the bait, I'll bite. There was some critical dialogue about this question many years ago, but the best place to look is a note in Paideuma by Eva Hesse, "Raymonde Collignon, or the Duck That Got Away," Pd 10 (Winter 1981): 583-84. There she prints a personal 1953 letter from Pound that makes the ID pretty conclusive. The real question is whether it matters -- to the poem, that is. I think it doesn't.

But for the curious, there's sufficient information about Raymonde Collignon in Ezra Pound and Music, and the correspondence at the Beinecke indicates an enduring friendship. Pound probably first heard music by Lawes (Henry and/or his brother William) during an early visit with Dolmetsch. He often persuaded singer friends to sing music for him privately that was not performed in public. Insight into this habit can be found in an item missed by all of EP's biographers, a chapter in Grace Lovat Fraser's memoir In the Days of My Youth (London: Cassell, 1970), where she describes his efforts to get her to sing early music.

Stephen Adams

--
Stephen J. Adams
Department of English

"Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love."
 – Reinhold Niebuhr