EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:23:55 GMT
It is true that there are proposals in the UK to cut down on the number of
jury trials. At present there are three categories of crime: crimes triable
only on indictment, which are always heard by a jury; crimes triable only
summarily, which are always heard by a panel of lay magistrates; and crimes
triable either way. The perceived problem is that for crimes triable either
way the accused usually has an unfettered right to choose whether to be
tried by a jury or by magistrates, however minor the offence. The proposal
is to limit the accused's right to elect for jury trial in some minor cases
which at the moment would be triable either way.

I don't say this is a good idea, but I do not think it is fair to say that
the proposals represent a fundamental inroad into the rights of the accused.
It merely increases the number of minor cases which in future will only be
triable by magistrates.

By the way, I don't know to what extent it is recognised in the US that
scarcely any civil cases in the UK are tried by juries, the only exceptions
of any significance being claims for defamation and false imprisonment.
Juries in civil cases were almost entirely abolished in the 1950s. In my
view this was an excellent innovation, and one which the US would do well to
consider!

Richard Edwards