EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 10:06:59 -0400
Dear List Members,

I want to apologize for the temporary shut-down of the Pound list.
First, I should explain that our local server placed a hold on the list
around the middle of last month, because the memory allotted us for our
archive was full. Unfortunately, however, I was not notified of this
action. Instead the same thing happened to me as happened to all of
you: the list simply went dead. But it has had slow times before, so I
did nothing. After a couple of weeks, Jonathan Morse sent me an e-mail,
asking what was wrong. But unfortunately this e-mail arrived at a time
when I was beginning a bout of ill health, so it has taken me a few
weeks to take action.

Once before in the history of this list, we filed up our assigned
memory, and at that time I solved the problem by dumping the archive.
However, some list members were very upset by that solution.  So
yesterday I began to explore some options. One option would be to rent
some additional memory.  However, Wayne Smith, the local listserv
technical coordinator, suggests another option, which he describes as
follows:

Within the next 2-3 weeks we will be moving your list to our new
LISTSERV platform.  I'll be happy to move that up to tomorrow (Tuesday
May 16), if you'd like.  In the mean time, if you authorize this, I'll
add the additional space without charge to get the list going again.

The new LISTSERV server is fully operational and immediately affects
your subscribers very little.  Until October 1st, posts and
administrative requests made to the old server will be forwarded to the
new server.

Fyi ..

   Old list address:   [log in to unmask]
   New list address:   [log in to unmask]
   New server address: [log in to unmask]

There are several advantages for you.  First, the standard archives disk
space on the new server is 20 megabytes (instead of your current 8).

Second, there are new subscriber and list-owner web pages in support of
your list.  These will be viewable at http://lists.Maine.edu/

A disadvantage is that the change may be made before you have notified
your subscribers.  Because of the compatibility, I don't view this as a
problem, but perhaps you would.  Even if you do not wish this change
now, we'll be doing it in a couple of weeks;  I'm just offering to move
up the timetable.

Your subscribers, the archives and the list definition would be moved
for you.  Basically, the list will be unavailable for 30 minutes while
the move is made.

Fyi .. the new server has an archive limit of 20M.  We don't currently
have a policy for archives larger than 20M, so when your archives get to
the limit (or sometime earlier!), you will need to trim the used space.
UNET will certainly help in that respect.

It would appear that our list is now released, as I received a rash of
messages this morning.  It is my sense that you may continue to send
messages to [log in to unmask] until October 1, but if you do so you'll
receive a message saying that your posting has been forward to the new
address. And as of October 1 you must use the new address:
[log in to unmask]  Or you may begin to use the new address
immediately.

Wayne Smith also sent me another message reading as follows:

By the way, the new LISTSERV provides the capability of not distributing
attachments, so your list cannot be used to distribute viruses such as
Melissa and the "love bug".  Good news :-)

Again, my apologies.  But it seems we're up and running again.

Burt Hatlen