EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:27:21 -0700
As a well-read non-humanist in his 40s who has spent time in the third
world and seen tribal hate at work, the problem I have with all the holocaust
literature is that it fails to address my basic incomprehension as to how this
could have happened.  I.e. how intelligent well-educated people (eg EP, nuts
maybe, smart probably, well-educated definitely) can have thought such
silly things and done such evil things?  The tribal hate I've seen could not
survive in the absence of real immediate grievance (they killed my brother)
and the presence of a decent education (history and ethics are complicated).

So, on the assumption that people who agonize over EP know something about
this subject, what would be a good recommendation for literature to address
this basic incomprehension? -T.