EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:26:39 -1000
1. Something not generally remembered is that Francis Biddle, the Attorney
General who indicted Pound for treason, was not the recipient of an
ordinary political education but a highly cultivated man, well acquainted
with Pound's work. In fact, his wife, the poet Katherine Garrison Chapin,
was on the jury that awarded Pound the Bollingen Prize. (She voted nay.)

Aside from that, Biddle was a writer himself, and a proud scion of the old
Philadelphia banking family that's mentioned in _The Cantos_. So it's
interesting to read his almost apologetic account of Pound's case in his
memoir _In Brief Authority_ (Doubleday, 1962), pp. 290-295. It begins with
a tribute to "President Roosevelt's exercise of the powers of pardon and
commutation of federal convicts [which] reflected his sense of pity for the
trespasses of human frailty," and continues with an account of the first
treason conviction of the war (in fact, the first since 1794): the case of
a Nazi sympathizer in Detroit who had sheltered an escaped German prisoner
of war. In that case, President Roosevelt commuted the death sentence to
life imprisonment. And that brings Biddle to the indictments of Pound and
the ten other Americans accused of treason for their pro-Axis broadcasts.
He concludes (pp. 294-95):

"When Pound moved to Rapallo many years before the war, my brother George
went to see him and made an excellent lithograph of the poet; and later
called on him at St. Elizabeth [sic], hoping to be allowed to draw him
again. But Pound would not agree. When George asked him to autograph a book