EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joe Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:08:54 EDT
William:

first of all, let's remember that we're speaking of free speech, and that
Pound, if had said what he said on the broadcasts within the borders of the
US, he would not have been threatened with a charge of treason.  treason is a
legal issue, not a moral one;  one is not charged with the moral crime of
treason, but with a criminal act.  Pound's friends acted to protect against
the criminal charge of treason, which was a capital crime.  in your response
you conflate the criminal with the moral, which I think is a mistake.  you
put a lot of trust in words like "giving aid and comfort to the enemy."  as
one who protested the vietnam war, I, along with others of similar mind, was
often accused in the media of doing just that, so you'll forgive me if I
don't pay much attention to such empty phrases.

secondly, to defend Pound on the basis of free speech isn't the same as
agreeing what he had to say.  clearly, much of what he said was morally
reprehensible, and he has been judged him harshly for it, as is appropriate.
but I for one don't think that what he did was treasonous, however rotten it
was.

remember that what I'm contesting is Bill's remarks that "In an earlier
posting it was suggested that EP was excercising his rights udner the US
Constitution, which seems to me an ndefensible premise. When you go over to
the other side during a war, you would seem to forfeit some constitutional
protections."  I continue to disagree that Pound went over to the other side,
or that he should have forfeited his constitutional protections, particularly
that of free speech.  I'm not as prepared as Bill, and apparently you, to
forfeit others rights to constitutional protections, which to me is a very
dangerous path to follow.

lastly, you ask "Indeed, doesn't it bankrupt it for all honest and good men
and women who believe in beauty and truth above all things? Doesn't it make a
mockery of his efforts to champion those civilisations which evinced a
balance of heart and mind?  a number of people, including Karl Shapiro,
certainly think so, but I don't.  if Pound had been evil through and through,
it would be another story, but he wasn't, so I'm willing to accept him for
who and what he was, confident that I can tell the difference between Pound
as political crank and Pound as artist.

joe....

In a message dated 9/4/99 5:41:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]