EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Korg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:40:24 -0800
projects, I expect my book, Winter Love: Ezra Pound and H.D., a study of
the relations between the two, to be published next year.
 And to fill in the dead air of the list, and return to an old
controversy, the "Pull down thy vanity" passage.
        To the extent that I have been following the discussion, opinion
has passed from the view that it is an expression of remorse to the idea
that EP is cursing out the US army. Some reflection suggests that he is
writing about the US as a whole --"rathe to destroy," etc But then there
is the view that these lines are spoken by the goddess of the "eyes" in
the preceding passage as a reproach to Pound, which reverses again. On the
other hand, would "eyes" speak -- symbolically or otherwise?
        Any ideas about this?