EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:30:41 -0400
Beth:

Since you'll probably get plenty of direct help with the poems themselves,
I'd like to make a suggestion about the notion that your teacher has set
ideas that you're supposed to match.  Students often say this when it's
not quite true.  Many teachers simply want to make sure you are
responsible about close readings (introducing evidence and explaining
terms, for instance).  I hope this is the case--why not simply ask the
teacher what the rules of the game are?  By the way, himself was quite a
rigid teacher, with plenty of "set ideas."  Then again, he really
sought out opposing points of view.

As for the Pound poems, you might consider the fact that one is a
translation of a letter, while the other seems to be an observation of a
visual image. Does the form of each poem correspond?  What is the audience
for each and how does that affect the tone?

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University