EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:21:11 -0600
Jack Savage wrote:

> a superficial body of work hardly requires more
> than a "superficial understanding"

Oh come now. Frost, admittedly, was a jerk, and I'm no sure why Dan
thinks his politics were all that better than Pound's. And Frost also, I
think, had utter contempt for his readers. It's been almost 40 years
since I read through his collected works, but my impression at the time
(reinforced more recently by some browsing) was that he had mastered a
certain tone in some of his best poems -- and then in poem after poem he
deliberately aped that tone as it were: that one could almost see a
parenthetical sneer, "Those stupid readers can't tell the difference."

But still -- you really ought to look again. Try reading "The Subverted
Flower."

Carrol