EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:19:21 -0700
I was likely too harsh in my previous message, but I've loved Homer since I
was in 7th grade and made a lot of arrangements and went a long way to be
able to read him in the original.  It's probably obvious that my patience is
as short for an easy dismissal of Homer as for an easy dismissal of Pound
(probably shorter).

Characterization is not the strength of Homer, but I don't care even a
little bit.  For characterization I'll read Hardy or James.  From the first
few lines of the Iliad, at least when read in Greek - if not even in Pope or
Chapman (Mandelbaum did a great Odyssey), one enters a world of time and
thought that is utterly different from our own, expressed in a supremely
powerful way.

On the other hand, I agree with you that a knowledge of Homer isn't
necessary for an appreciation of the Cantos.  Wouldn't hurt, though.

Won't even try to deal now with Dante except to say that the Troubadours are
probably more informative to the Cantos and the rest of Pounds verse.