EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 14:40:00 -0400
8bit
From:
"R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
I'd like to address via the list a couple of points that were
backchanneled to me. Firstly, it's not exactly that Pound had "his
opinions" and others have theirs and the poet should be understood on
the merit of his poetry alone. Pound requires, indeed deserves, stronger
measures than that. This is precisely because he IS a great poet. Hacks
and publicity seekers can have all the outrageous opinions they want and
as soon as they are no longer news nobody gives a rat's ass about their
so-called work.
Secondly, Casillo's Geneaology of Demons is a mess. Not only is the
interpretation often strained beyond credulity (although I can live with
that), it treats the Cantos as though they are not a poem so much as a
ideologue's scrapbook. Casillo's book suggests an underlying sinister
cohesion to the Cantos which goes beyond previous interpretations and is
not borne out by much contradictory biographical data. But even if this
is true, still C.'s greatest flaw is his utter ignorance of how such a
poem gets constructed and how the materials influence the epistemology.
The result is that Casillo's Cantos static without evolution in direct
contradiction to Pound's stated and admittedly failed aims. One has a
idea or set of ideas in circumstances like the Cantos and one seeks
supporting texts. But these texts have a life of their own and alter not
only the original intent of the poet but the poem itself without the
poet developing an original form of expression that would subsume the
quote more thoroughly into his conceptual flow. The situation is thus
complicated or enriched depending on your viewpoint when quoted material
is introduced into the text. This material becomes both part of the text
and an alternative text that the poet himself forms a dialectic with.
The Cantos are always at least a dialogue; never a monologue as Casillo
implies. This technique also has embedded within it the notion of
'authority' but not in a necessarliy negative sense. Casillo also
confuses the 'authority' that is implicit in the use of outside texts
with the authoritarian nature of some of those texts. This has happened
to me by people who confused authorities I was criticizing with the
overall intent of a poem. This happened because people associate
frequent recourse to authority in a poem with an inherently
authoritarian position because they don't have immediate access to the
poems meaning; that it is literally being held with malicious intent
beyond thier reach. Nothing could be further from the truth and the
generosity of a work can be lost when the reader or critic feels
threatened by the complexity and contradictions of a work such as the
Cantos. But leaving fragments of cited matter in tact in a poem allows
for interpretation and integration which is not there. Of course, to a
certain degree this hermeneutical dimension must be accounted for in all
poetry, but especally so in the Cantos. Many interruptions. Must go.
Carlo Parcelli

--
ÐÏ à¡± á