EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Richard Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:58:46 GMT
I'm glad to know

Zachary Dempster wrote:
>Incidentally, while I am sending this to the list, I have my own worry.
>I am attempting to write an essay on Hugh Selwyn Mauberley's influence on
>other poets--primarily modern poets.
>I see an affinity between HSM and The Waste Land, but I have not come
>across
>any writing pertaining to that affinity.
>Is there some essay I am missing?
>And more generally are there any other poets who reflect in their poetry
>HSM?
>
>Zachary Dempster

I'm glad to see you're primarily interested in HSM's influence on *modern*
poets, as I think you would have some difficulty identifying the respects in
which HSM influenced say, Wyatt, Cowper or Swinburne.

That apart, a poem which seems to me to owe something to HSM, at least in
its prosody, is "Scenes with Harlequins" by Geoffrey Hill (Canaan 1996).
Geoffrey Hill has of course also written at length about HSM in 'Envoi
(1919)', published in The Enemy's Country 1991.

Donald Davie in the later of his two books on Pound (1975) rather dismisses
HSM and remarks rather cryptically that people who are interested in it tend
to be emotionally thwarted types or words to that effect. I entirely
disagree with him but I wonder who he could have had in mind?

Richard Edwards