EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:51:18 -1000
At 08:08 PM 3/6/00 -0500, Lucas Klein wrote:
>is there anything specific (as in, more than just a general
>sense I get from reading Pound's poetry--Cantos or otherwise) I can
>mention to argue that Pound's (and Eliot's) writings are more than
>overeducated and self-impressed mental gymnastics but instead are
>constituted of vibrant and emotional language that, as part of but not
>solely existent to the technique, re-INVIGORATES the classics and gives
>new life to literary tradition?

In my experience, classes take wonderfully to "Tradition and the Individual
Talent" and "_Ulysses_, Order, and Myth." Terry Eagleton has scored some
points against Eliot, of course. Yes, Professor Eagleton, you're right to
wonder: if "the main current . . . does not at all flow invariably through
the most distinguished reputations," then what IS "the main current"?
Still, I'd say Eliot stands a better chance than Eagleton of being read by
your grandchildren.

And while we're on the topic of Williams: Emory University's English
department has a very nice FTP directory of modern poems about paintings,
illustrated with the paintings. Williams and Auden are there, of course,
plus some less familiar authors. One of those regards Brueghel's "The
Harvest" as a piece of gay porn. The URL is

http://www.emory.edu/ENGLISH/Paintings&Poems

Jonathan Morse