EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:42:11 -0500
From:
"R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Timothy,

Thanks to you along with Cameron. This Pound connection to Voltaire is
useful to me at least in following the thread toward the Physiocrats
which will find expression in poetry since it involves to much
speculation for scholarship. Victor Ferkiss' book Nature, Technology,
and Society: Cultural Roots of the Current Environmental Crisis has
reignited my interest in the connection between Confucious/Mencius and
the Enlightenment. Though I can't recall exactly where (possibly in a
study of the Eloges), I believe an author claimed that the Physiocrats
actually translated Confucious and Mencius. At any rate, going to
Voltaire with a sound connection to Pound is useful.
You are correct. Pound did feel an affinity with Enlightenment thought.
His attitudes toward science and technology reflect this. And afterall
Thomas Jefferson was a essentially a physiocrat and Pound would have
assimilated this in his reading. Carlo Parcelli

--
ÐÏࡱá