EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:32:11 -1000
I've tried Eudora's "resend" command on this message, but it doesn't seem
to have worked. So here comes a straight cut-and-paste-and-send job.
Apologies for any duplication.

JM

--------

From: "Michael Coyle" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      Eliot: closure
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:52:44 +0300

Dear Jonathan,

I would like to have posted this little note to your message to the Pound
list, but I am in London for the term and the Pound list doesn't accept
posts from from from this address. Perhaps you would be kind enough to
forward it for me; I'd appreciate it. The note is simple, but makes a big
difference with regard to how anyone thinks of Pound. Pound himself *never*
used the phrase "The Pound Era," and would have been embarrassed had anyone
else done so in his hearing. It was Hugh Kenner who coined the phrase, and
his ambitious "The Pound Era" was published immediately before EP's death,
or immediately after: I can't remember which right now, but either way EP
was past caring. Kenner had conferred with EP many times, of course, but I'm
fairly certain he hadn't told EP what he intended to cal his second
full-length book on Pound's work. There are many Pound scholars today,
myself included, who have begun the work of historicizing Pound, and have
been doing so by reflecting on how it is that our own criticcal
methodologies shape what we see or don't see. I've written about this
question not only in my book (which, incidentally is largely about Pound's
relations to Ruskin---but the Pound list didn't accept my post), *Ezra
Pound, Popular Genres, and the Discourse of Culture*, but also in an essay
review of four years ago:  "A Present with Innumerable Pasts: Postmodernity
and the Tracing of Modernist Origins," in *Review*, ed. James A. Hoge
(Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 1996).
        I'm glad for your post, because I think you're very right that the
recent change in copyright law has huge implications for readers and
critics.  I also think you're right that such a law would have been
unnecessary in the 19th century.

Cheers,

Michaael Coyle
e-mail address in London until mid-May: mailto:[log in to unmask]