EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Everett Lee Lady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:01:05 -1000
>From:  Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Thanks and query
>Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:27:03 -1000

>American Long Poem. But has anyone on this list ever seen or taken a =
>course where Williams's _In the American Grain_ was required reading? Or =
>how about _ Journey to Love _?  The works that might broaden and secure =
>his reputation among the American Reading Public don't seem to get much =
>air-time. =20
>Tim Romano

A year ago I took (or rather sat in on) a graduate course taught by
Susan Schultz called something like Foundations of Creative Writing, a
required course for students in the creative writing program here at
Hawaii.  A rather pleasant course, although the volume of reading
required was horrendous.  IN THE AMERICAN GRAIN was included in the
required reading, but we only spent one week on it.  Students seemed to
like it fairly well.  At least it was a big improvement over Plato (The
REPUBLIC) and Sir Philip Sydney.

Incidentally, students did not like Pound's ABC OF READING or Eliot's
LITERARY ESSAYS at all.  They had a specially hard time relating to
Pound.  I led the discussion on Pound, but did not reveal my personal
connection with Pound.  I would feel rather awkward about taking this
sort of course now if the class was aware that I had known Pound
personally.

--Lee Lady