EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:34:45 GMT
From:
Richard Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:36:56 -0400, you wrote:

>Ric Caddel, are you out there?  If so, I want to get the Durham
>University Studies volume on Bunting.  Can you help?
>
>Burt Hatlen

Thanks for the opportunity for the commercial break, Burt: that's:
Sharp Study and Long Toil: Basil Bunting Special Issue ed. R. Caddel;
Durham University Journal Suppement, 1995. Price £10.00, Cheques
(Sterling only, I'm afraid) made to University of Durham. Orders to:
Basil Bunting Poetry Centre, Durham University Library, Palace Green,
Durham DH1 3RN, UK.

On page 101 of this publication (in an article by John Seed) is a
quote from a letter, BB to EP, 1938, which is relevant to the present
discussion on this list:

"Every anti-semitism, anti-niggerism, anti-moorism, that I can recall
in history was base, had its foundation in the meanest kind of envy
and in greed. It makes me sick to see you covering yourself with that
filth. It is not an arguable question, has not been arguable for at
least nineteen centuries... it is hard to see how you are going to
stop the rot of your mind and heart without a pretty thoroughgoing
repudiation of what you have spent a lot of work on."

Everyone knows, from BB's flyleaf-of-pound's-cantos ode about a decade
later, how enduring Bunting's respect for Pound was. My question is:
who else from the poetry world, apart from BB, was calling Pound wrong
in such unequivocal terms, in 1938?

Richard Caddel, Durham