ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:53:56 -0500
Just to shed some of the light on the subject from an interview Dan Hannigan had with Coach Whitehead after the game:

(this was on the radio and I did my best to scribble as my notes as best as possible)

-Whitehead loved the way the team battled both nights
-The team has find that fine line between battling hard and losing composure
-Everyone has to keep a level head and be aware of the situation, know the score, the opponent, the time in the game, etc.
-if one guy loses that composure, then whoop we gotta kill a 5 minute penalty
-Hannigan asked what his thoughts were on the Ryan hit, and Whitehead responded with a sharp, "he sat the rest of the game so I think that tells you how I feel about that.
-Whitehead continued to say you have to draw a line and he crossed it and had to pay the price
-Whitehead did go on to say that Prestin brings a lot to the table, and that he will improve and that no one is about to give up on him.  HE came from a league where he had a lot of penalty minutes, where he was encouraged to cross the line, and we
have to change that. When he takes bad penalties they'll continue to bench him.

So it sounded to me that they know he's a work in progress and despite the fact that it hurts the team they will continue to make sure he understands what is expected and what will be tolerated.  I was encouraged with what Whitehead had to say right
after the game (those comments were right after the game on saturday night).

-Jake