EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Everett Lee Lady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:19:06 -1000
I can't give you a very good date on this, but certainly as late as 1957,
the Square Dollar Press continued to publish Del Mar and Pound was
still recommending Del Mar to his visitors at St. Elizabeths.  In
particular, I remember him saying that he had decided on a policy of not
accepting any new visitors at St. Elizabeths unless they had already
read Del Mar and the Analects of Confucious (also published by the
Square Dollar Press).

Of course I don't think he meant this policy to apply to distinguished
visitors.  He was talking about students like myself who wanted to come
to St. Elizabeths on a somewhat regular basis.   Sufficiently
distinguished visitors might even get away with showing up at St.
Elizabeths without advance notice, especially if they were only in
town for a day or two, but they were always required to start by going
to the Hospital administrative office, and the Hospital always checked
with Pound before giving them the okay.

Pound was in some ways a complete idiot in the way that often only
extremely intelligent people are capable of.  But he was not the
irrational fool that many here seem to want to think he was.

--Lee Lady   <Http://www2.Hawaii.Edu/~lady/>