EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:26:40 -0500
gavin writes:
>...The West is still
>patriarchal, and might I add, Big Time...

sorry gavin,
 but, no, you mightn't.

... bourgeois liberal gender ideology is probably
second only to its race ideology for preposterousness.

first of all, as you say, in social sciences
the consideration is always only
that very circumscribed "marginal effect":
all historical and biological forms and stages
of social evolution are always simultaneously present
only in different relative strengths.
so, albeit things seem to be changing,
it is the case that historical bourgeois society
was/is clearly matriarchal.
... so that for yer cultural anthropologist & co,
ep's "old-bitch (gone in the teeth etc)"
is no mere metafor  but empirically sound observation.

and surely this (bourgeois & liberal = matriarchal)
is as important for understanding ep
as that  medieval and fascist is patriarchal, eh?

bob