EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:04:20 -0500
Tim,
     Is the complaint in Mauberley against war?  or,  this war?  waged by
this "tawdry," "old bitch"(Victorian-Edwardian) regnum?  there's a genuine
pathos/reverence for the myriad "daring", fortitude", "frankness as never
before", who went out, died, or returned, "disillusioned as never before",
no?
     And in contrast to vapid victorian whiggery, in the Cantos, is there
any other character, tableau, theme,... can match the presence of the image
of the warlord Sigismundo, the great-souled warrior hero, and Rimini?  and
don't we see here pound's ideal polis/regnum?  and in Il Duce, the return?
Isn't it the old wagnerian/nietzschean intoxication?

bob