EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Patricia Cockram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 02:09:43 -0500
I know that Homer built the house (or had it built) and that it was the
first house of its type in Hailey, but Pound lived there only as an infant.
Sure, he used the fact of having been born there for all sorts of propaganda
and social effects, but I find it hard to think of him as a mid-westerner.

Wyncote seems much more important, since it is where he actually spent
conscious time.  Am I being grossly unsentimental in thinking that Hailey
isn't such a historic site?  I don't care about the door to his room in
Wabash either.  On the other hand, I get very emotional handling his
notebooks, in which he wrote with his own hand.

Maybe this is why so few people have responded to the request (which all of
us, I assume, received in the mail several months ago.  How do others feel?
I'm willing to be persuaded...

Patricia