ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:03:29 -0800
I am guessing you were not at the game...
you cannot shoot the puck if almost the entire game
looked like  a 5 on 3 powerplay, for UMass.
Umass kept the puck in their offensive zone for what
seemed like 85% of the game.
If Umass had any talent at all, they would have scored
about 12 or 15 goals.  the Puck was kicked around 10
feet in front of Ben, after he left rebounds, Umass
whiffed at the puck, and and poked at it, as it was
bouncing like a pinball just in front of the crease
about 12 times per period.  It was the most amazing
display of (what I like to call, at Merrimack games)
"hockey played in gravel" that I have ever seen.
Obviously Umass had the talent to keep the puck in the
offensive zone, but they did not score anywhere near
as often as they should have.  And Maine did not
sustaing any offensive pressure at all.

The upsides were that Maine convincingly killed a 3 on
5 that lasted a full 2 minutes.
Carrierre and Belmore were hitting hard.
Bellamy won the "hardest hit ever" contest, making
Prestin look like a  pee wee.  Bels sent a guy into
the glass, sort of spinning and flailing.  The guy was
small, but Bels lifted him with the hit and when he
hit the glass, (full body above the dasher, parallel
to the ice, he sort of stuck to the glass and slid
down.)  This was just after Maine was called for about
6 penalties in a row, so I think that Gravelese was
willing to let one slide.... this was the definition
of boarding.
Ben has finally learned the tried and true BU method
of goaltending: knocking the net off the moorings
whenever ya get in trouble.  While it might not be the
honorable thing to do, it works and it is part of the
game, and it is allowed.  I am glad to see him doing
it.

someone recently asked on here if Maine could win 15
games this season, and I did not answer.  well, I
think we have our answer.  Unfortunately.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs