ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:24:23 -0500
Great letter Ken -- I couldn't have put it better myself.

I haven't experienced the level of "sportsmanship" that Ken describes,
although Dan and I did receive some obnoxious comments from assorted UNH
fans who were staying in our hotel in Anaheim (BEFORE the final game, that
is).  We also ran afoul of some obnoxious (and drunk) BC fans while sitting
in the BC section at the Alfond last year.  We have, however, stopped going
to Walter Brown arena for fear of some of the incidents that Ken describes
in his letter (going to BU and cheering for Maine is like going to the
bleachers at Yankee Stadium and cheering for the Red Sox).

There's a sign in the Fleet Center that reminds people to "Be a Good
Sport!!".  By all means, cheer loud and long for your team, and boo the
opposition, but DON'T get personal or use profanity.  In addition to not
being a sore loser, I think people also need to learn how to be a gracious
winner.

Lindsay A. Huntoon
Go Maine Black Bears
Providence or Bust in 2000