EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 00:19:11 PDT
Would this be an equally acceptable list for the author of the Cantos:

For moral order-- Confucius. For fiscal order-- the fascist economist Odon
Por (translated by Pound) For civic order-- Mussolini and Hitler. For
aesthetic order (integrity)-- the "god of the lira", as administered by
Italian Ministry of Finance 1922-1943. Etc., etc.

Carlo wrote:

<<  For moral order-- Dante. For fiscal order-- the
Malatestas et al. For civic order-- Jefferson. For aesthetic order
(integrity)-- not "the god of the dollar." Etc., etc. --CP>>

Why the emphasis on Order?  Why not emphasize the following:

Moral Freedom
Fiscal Freedom
Civic Freedom
Aesthetic Freedom

Does anyone know if Pound ever uses the word "freedom", and if so where?

Lest someone misconstrue my remarks as  negative, I invite all list
participants to create their own list.  Here is mine:

For moral freedom-- Christ, Buddha, Lao Tze, Gandhi (not the moral
straightjacket of Dante's Catholicism);
For fiscal freedom-- The Revolution of the Spanish Republic --1936(  not the
aristocratic misadventures of the Malatestas);
For civic freedom-- The French Declaration of Human Rights, and the UN
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Bill of Rights, and the
Declaration of Independence
(not the Jefferson depicted in Jefferson and/or Mussolini);
For aesthetic freedom (integrity)-- not "the god of the dollar" (we can
agree here. . . ).

Regards,

Wei