ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:42:36 EST
I sincerely hope it does not signify a return to the BDN editorially slamming
UMaine as it did before Mark Woodward took over.  I also sincerely hope
someone takes it upon themselves to write a response in support of UMaine.  I
think a little research would find that most Maine fans are apprehensive when
they go to BU.  I know many who refuse to park anywhere near BU, and take the
subway/tram/L (whatever it's called!)  One of my friends carries pepper
spray, even IN the BU rink, and has gotten hassled many times, both verbally
and physically, just by sitting in her seat and cheering the UMaine team.
Look at what was reported after the UNH games the last few seasons, and the
stories that came out after UMass last season and their crowd's concept of
how to act behind the opponent's bench.

I understood "crowd control" was supposed to be an issue at pre season league
meetings.  Did that happen?  I have always believed UMaine to be the safest
rink in Hockey East.  I am not saying we are the most welcoming, now,
especially to BU fans, but that opposing team fans didn't have to fear for
their health and safety.  I have always thought that the UMaine campus police
stopped verbal assault before it escalated into anything more than hurt
feelings.  Isn't this true?

I remember back in the EARLY 80's, under Semler, UMaine was playing Colby and
there were five of us UMaine fans in the rink.  We all cheered so loudly (in
a losing cause BTW, & all clean stuff, too!!) that the guards came to stand
by us, and escorted us from the building when the game ended.  That was my
one "negative" experience in another's barn.  I guess I should start to
travel more!  I have never had someone throw their food and beer on me or
shove me or scream in my face or "key" my car or anything like what I have
heard happening at other rinks in recent years.  As a long time fan of
college hockey, I have begun to feel culturally deprived!

Since I rarely read the Deadly, (sorry Deron!),  I hope someone keeps us
posted about any response to that complaint.  I would be interested!

Cathy Hart