ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 06:42:13 -0800
Check out the story below.  It sounds like this injury is actually more
serious than the original groin injury for Bishop. -DT

--

UM goalie Bishop unlikely to play in UMass series
By Pete Warner

Barring a miraculous recovery by starting goalie Ben Bishop, it appears
as though freshman Dave Wilson will be between the pipes this weekend
when the University of Maine Black Bear hockey team tries to secure
home ice for the Hockey East quarterfinals.

Bishop injured his groin in Maine’s 5-1 win over Merrimack on Saturday
night. He previously injured his groin against New Hampshire on Feb. 3.

"This is completely different," said Bishop. "The last one was higher
up. It was a hip flexor-type of deal. This is lower down. This is a
deep groin [injury]."

He said Monday it didn’t feel any better and he is having it examined
today.

Wilson said he will be prepared for any scenario.

He has made one road start and was pulled after allowing four goals on
19 shots in a 5-2 loss to Boston College on Feb. 16.

"It was my first road start. I was back in my net way too far. I was
way too nervous," said Wilson who admitted he worried about BC’s talent
and speed.

Wilson said if he plays this weekend, he will be more relaxed and will
come out of his net farther and cover his angles more efficiently.

"And I picked up more confidence from the last game," said Wilson, who
stopped all 12 shots he faced in the 5-1win over Merrimack after he
replaced Bishop.

UMass coach Don Cahoon feels Maine will be formidable regardless of who
is in net.

"The quality of their goaltenders is pretty solid. Bishop has some
gaudy numbers and a track record but [Wilson] has done a really good
job. His shutout of Vermont is a classic example."

Maine and the University of Massachusetts are currently tied for fourth
place with 29 points and Maine has a Friday-Saturday series in Amherst,
Mass., against the Minutemen. Vermont is sixth in the league with 28
points and hosts UMass Lowell for a pair this weekend. UMass Lowell is
in ninth place, two behind Providence in the battle for the eighth and
final playoff berth.

If Maine and Vermont finish tied in points, Maine would win the
tie-breaker by virtue of beating the Catamounts twice in three games.
Maine has won its only previous meeting with UMass.

The Black Bears need a win and a tie at UMass to sew up fourth place,
regardless of what Vermont does.

The Maine players don’t have to be reminded about the importance of
this weekend’s series.

"It’s a tough situation but the good thing is our destiny is in our own
hands," said Maine senior left wing and assistant captain Josh Soares.
"If we go in and take care of the job ourselves, we won’t have to worry
about another team winning for us."

Soares and the Bears feel Wilson can provide them with the goaltending
they’ll need to have success this weekend.

"He’s played well for us. We’ll need to protect him and give him the
opportunity to see the puck and save the puck," said Soares. "We’re
confident he can do the job we’re looking for this weekend."

Bishop said Wilson will have to adjust to playing on the road.

"I’m sure their fans will be all over him. He’s just going to have to
take that challenge and enjoy it," said Bishop.