EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"W. Freind" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:22:10 -0700
First, I think Sarah's question was absolutely legitimate: she saw a
reference to a fairly important event in Pound's life and asked for more
information. Perfectly reasonable.

Second, I haven't met anyone who doesn't enjoy what is being called
literary gossip, but might more accurately be called biography. Foucault
might have undermined the status of the author, but his biography sold
pretty well, too.

Third, this is starting to remind me of the heated debates that still
surround the question of Wallace Stevens' deathbed conversion. Neither
that nor Pound's (non-) paternity has any real bearing on the poetry. Yet
in the face of what seems to be pretty substantial evidence that Pound was
not Omar's father, and that Stevens did in fact convert (or return) some
readers continue to insist that neither is true. Says a lot about the
investments we bring to our purportedly disinterested readings.

Bill Freind