ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:20:18 -0500
(from 3/28 BDN)

PERRON EXPECTS TO BECOME GM
by Larry Mahoney
Of the NEWS Staff

Guy Perron, a former University of Maine captain and assistant coach said he
is "99 percent sure" he will become the general manager-head coach of the
Geneva, Ill., franchise in the North American Hockey League.

Geneva will take over the Detroit Freeze franchise in the Junior A league
for players 16-20 years of age.  Perron, who spent the past two years as an
assistant coach at Dartmouth College, expects to sign a contract on Sunday.

"It'll be a different experience," said the 30-year-old Perron, the Eastern
Maine Class A Coach of the Year at Bangor High School in 1993.  "I want to
run my own show.  The players will be kids the colleges are recruiting, so
I'll be dealing with the same peple I've been dealing with the last 3-4
years at the college level.  Maybe I can help make the transition to college
for our players easier.

Perron, who had 146 points in his four-year career at Maine, said becoming a
GM and a coach "will help me become a better coach and administrator."