EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:26:27 -0800
Rick

No apology necessary or if one is, it's accepted with thanks.

This exchange has been GREAT for me.  It's all I could ever hope for
from the list.  I spend most of my days, weeks, and months, and have
done so for more than 15 years, conversing primarily with machines -
computers - in their languages.  You have forced me back to the texts
and to thinking through assumptions that I've held for years, and which
I reinforce to myself in a vacuum, not even sure which way in a vacuum.
 I love the poetry of many poets, but none as much as EP's.  I've always
thought of him as "daddy".

Of course a noun implies a verb and vice versa.  Analytical English
separates them; I mean, English, being analytical, separates them.
 That's why Pound's "a moment in time" is difficult, especially in
European languages, and especially in English.  It's easiest to think of
a moment in verse as a single word.  Second easiest to think of a
concrete object.  When the word, vide moment, is expanded to several
lines and includes quotations and abstractions, the idea of a moment
becomes very difficult to hold on to.  Yet, reading EP, one can
experience such moments even in lengthy passages of disparate elements.
 Maybe that, or something similar, is what you originally meant by
finding Imagist passages in Pound?

I think we largely agree except possibly on small points, points which
I've blown out of proportion.  But, for me, that's the fun.  I no longer
have any associates with whom I can discuss/argue EP.  So, if I can have
a drag out, knock down fight with an intelligent person, and have the
content of the fight be EP, I'm in paradiso.

Thanks,

Dirk

P.S.  Would you mind expanding your hint at Fenellosa?  It's been a long
time since I read him, too.... Maybe a few details would dredge up my
latent memory.  Something about movement defining the subject, maybe?
 And even if it doesn't dredge up my memory, it may send me headlong
into the texts.