ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:04:30 -0500
At 11:22 PM 3/12/97 EST, Wayne Smith wrote:

>Here's where we part.  We can use the same argument as Deron did for
>Noble to see that Alfie has poor stats and Matile had excellent stats.

Please explain Wayne.  :-)

I posted the stats, and I wouldn't say that either player had poor stats.
In fact, Matile had a great save percentage but that was the only category
he was better than Michaud in.

>An "All-Star" team is not the team of best players over the last month
>of the season, but for the entire season.

Right, but Matile didn't play the entire season either, and both had their
best success during the second half of the season.  Matile missed the first
10 games, then had problems adjusting to medication, while Alfie struggled
during the first semester.

Again, I think those may be a wash but it would be fair to go with an edge
to Matile.

The second half of the season is different story, Matile had several
shutouts, but also had several games he let in five goals or so, while Alfie
was more consistent and had a GAA around 2.10 during the second semester.

I'd contend that neither goalie was great for the first semester, but Matile
played better, while Michaud was more consistent and ultimately had to put
up better numbers to finish as well as he did.

As I said before, I don't expect everyone to agree with this.  I'm not
attempting to be "diplomatic", this is clearly just my opinion.

>"Team sportsmanship"?  Is this the perennial MC award for least penalty
>minutes or analogous to the individual sportsmanship award.  Or is the
>individual sportsmanship award just calculated on penalty minutes?

UNH won it last year I believe.  It is the award given to the team with the
fewest penalty minutes.  Maine was head-and-shoulders above the rest here
with an average of 15.71 penalty minutes per game, the closest was 18.38
(Providence).  I know for a fact that Walsh is real proud of this
accomplishment in light of the fact things *could* have been real messy
considering this team had the proverbial "nothing to play for."
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])