ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:00:48 -0500
Jason Mansoff played with the Portland Pirates of the AHL last night, here
is the Portland Press Herald story about the three.
(http://www.portland.com/pirates/games/game0303.htm)

                                      UMaine players try out

   The Portland Pirates give three UMaine hockey players a chance to taste
the pro life.

Reg Cardinal and Jason Mansoff planned to take off to Panama City, Fla.
MTV's Spring Break beckoned.

Dan Shermerhorn was just going to hang out in Orono, rest a little after a
long hockey season for the University of Maine.

But 30 minutes after their hockey careers ended at Maine, so did their plans
for sun, fun or relaxation.

Mansoff, Cardinal and Shermerhorn signed 30-day amateur tryout contracts
with the Portland Pirates less than an hour after
the Black Bears beat Massachusetts 10-3 Saturday night.

Mansoff, a defenseman, was the only one to play Sunday in Portland's 4-4 tie
with the Hamilton Bulldogs at the Cumberland
County Civic Center.

''We didn't play a very good team (Saturday) so it was like 'Oh God,' ''
said Mansoff, who had a new red welt over his left
eye. ''The guys are stronger here. The hitting's about the same. But things
happen more quickly here.''

Mansoff, who finished his Maine career with 22 goals and 39 assists and a
plus-80 rating over 140 games, impressed the
Pirates.

''We were going into this blind,'' said Barry Trotz, coach of the Pirates.
''But Jason Mansoff looks like he has good hockey
sense, he's put together pretty well (6-foot-1, 200 pounds) and he skates
well. We were pleasantly surprised at his level of
skill.''

Mansoff, an electrical engineering major, will return to classes after
Maine's two-week spring break ends. He said he'll need
about four classes for his degree.

''This is going to get me some experience and get me started on next year,''
said Mansoff, who also had an offer from the
Long Beach Ice Dogs of the IHL. ''It's a great opportunity.''

Shermerhorn and Cardinal agreed.

''We took this opportunity to further our careers,'' said Shermerhorn, a
center who scored 71 goals and 69 assists in 153
games for Maine. ''I've worked 21 years for the chance to prove myself at a
higher level. Florida's going to be there next year
or the year after.

''I'm looking forward to this opportunity.''

Cardinal, who scored 41 goals and 57 points in 147 games, called it ''an
opportunity to get some exposure. It's a different
game at this level. Playing college the last four years, we prepared for one
or two games a week. Here you prepare for three
or four games a week.''

The timing was perfect for all parties. The Pirates are depleted because of
injuries - especially on defense, where they also
recalled Neal Martin and Chad Ackerman from Hampton Roads - and call-ups to
the Washington Capitals.

The players won't miss classes because school is shut down.

''It's a great fit,'' said Trotz. ''We need help. They will get exposure.
They have two weeks off, then they can go back to
school. And we'll get to see them a year early, see if we like them.''

And, Trotz added, their college background helped.

''There's always a lot of good kids coming out of Maine,'' he said. ''They
work hard. They're good kids. Why wouldn't we
want to take a look at them?''

And all three said Portland's location was ideal. If any of them decide to
stay after spring break, they could continue their
studies at Maine.

''School is very important to us,'' said Cardinal. ''Being close to home was
very important.''
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])