ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:56:54 -0500
MAINE DOWNS UMASS IN FINAL GAME

ORONO, Maine -- On a night dedicated to them, the seniors came through
in a big way notching  five goals and three assists as No. 10 Maine spanked
UMass 10-3 Saturday March 1 to close out their 1996-97 season.

"We did it for each other," said senior captain Reg Cardinal.  "It was an
emotional game.  We just wanted to finish off on a high note."

After three huge wins the week before over No. 3 New Hampshire, and then
No. 4 Boston University, one had to think that Maine's focus might not be
there in this game.  Maine handled UMass easily 6-4 and 8-1 in two
previous meetings on Feb. 14 and 15.

"The game before we leave [for a break] we lose focus," said Dan
Shermerhorn, who said the team was guarding against a letdown in their
final game of the year.

Warren Norris' breakaway goal at the 3:29 mark of the first period seemed
to only enhance that argument.  Norris broke in all alone down the left wing
and backhanded the puck over Maine netminder Alfie Michaud as he
moved in front of the net to put UMass (12-21, 7-17 HE) up 1-0.

But that was all the Black Bears needed to wake up.  The No. 10 ranked
Black Bears (24-10-1, 16-7-1 HE) would score the next five goals -- three
from seniors to build a 5-1 lead five minutes into the second period.

Dan Shermerhorn, who was snakebitten at times in his senior season, scored
the first two for Maine.  David Cullen fed the puck in front from the point
on the power play, but it was blocked in front where Shermerhorn got a
quick shot off beating UMass goaltender Brian Regan just 40 seconds after
the Norris goal.

Shermerhorn made it 2-1 when Scott Parmentier broke into the Maine zone
with the puck, and dropped it to Steve Kariya.  Kariya and Shermerhorn cut
to the net where Kariya fed a quick pass to Shermerhorn from the top of the
crease for the goal.

"We came in three-on-two," said Kariya, who set up the play,  "Parmentier
made a great play and Shermerhorn kept his stick on the ice and it was a
great tap in,"

Shermerhorn had two goals and an assist in his final game as a Black Bear
to put him tied for ninth on the Maine's all-time point list with 71 goals and
69 assists for 140 points.  Shermerhorn is tied with Brian Downey, who
played at Maine from 1989 through 1992.  Shermerhorn also jumped into
sole possession of ninth-place on the Maine career goals list with 71.

Even more impressive for Shermerhorn is that he ended his career playing
in 115 consecutive games, by far the most of any Black Bear.  Brian White
will be Maine's new iron man next year with 82 consecutive games played.

Maine extended the lead to 3-1 when Leo Wlasow, who elected earlier this
season not to return for his senior year, shot the puck from the point where
Shawn Wansborough backhanded the rebound past Regan for the goal.

Wlasow will graduate in May, but had one year of eligibility remaining.

Another Maine senior, Trevor Roenick, extended the lead to 4-1 just 4:18
into the second when he made a brilliant rush up ice, delayed just as he
crossed the blue line as a UMass player flew by, then moved to the top of
the slot and roofed it over Regan's left shoulder.

The two teams traded goals for the remainder of the period as Steve Kariya
scored short-handed on a great effort from Scott Parmentier.  Kariya's first
shot was stopped by Regan after he broke into the zone alone, but
Parmentier followed the rebound and found Kariya on the far post for the
goal.

UMass made it 5-2 at 10:50 when Tom Perry scored a power-play goal from
Michaud's right when Maine failed to clear the puck past UMass defender
Brad Norton.

Wansborough scored a power-play goal of his own for Maine less than two
minutes later, before a Jeff Blanchard breakaway goal made it 6-3 Maine
after two periods.

The third period was all Maine's however.  Senior Reg Cardinal added to
the senior party at the 5:26 mark of the period on the power play.  Cory
Larose's shot from the point came off the end boards hard and right back in
front to Cardinal who deposited the puck in the empty side of the net to
make it 7-3 Maine.

Defenseman Jeff Libby and David Cullen traded goals as Maine extended
the lead to 9-3 with a little over four minutes to go in the period.

Walsh had nothing but praise for Libby and Cullen, who he said have
emerged and filled the void left by the defections of Jeff Tory and Brett
Clark before this season.

Cullen had another terrific game for Maine with one goal and two assists
for three points.  Cullen finished the season with an 11 game point streak
that saw him score five goals and 14 assists for 19 points.

Ironically, the "blue line" that may have started to turn Maine's season
around in Decemeber when Grant Standbrook put Marcus Gustafsson with
Reg Cardinal and Trevor Roenick during the J.C. Penney Classic scored the
10th goal, the final goal of the 1996-97 season.

Hard work kept the puck in the UMass zone where Reg Cardinal put it on
net with players crashing.  Rich Moriarty, who had come in to replace Brian
Regan with 5:17 left in the game, misplayed the puck and Maine had
another goal.  Gustafsson, and Roenick assisted on the goal.

"We took it over in the third and we were able to coast," said Kariya.  "It
was a great win."

Walsh likened the team's performance to that of a national power in another
sport.

"Kentucky basketball plays a full court press," Walsh said.  "It keeps other
teams on their heels."

Regan finished with 35 saves in 54 minutes for UMass, but allowed eight
goals as Maine outshot UMass 47-21 for the game.  Moriarty made just two
saves on four shots, while Alfie Michaud won again for Maine stopping 18
of 21 shots.

"There wasn't a big goal you could fault the goalie on," Shermerhorn said of
Regan's performance.

Maine finished the year simply on fire.  The Black Bears, who were 7-7-1
after the first semester, with two of those wins over a Division II team,
finished the year 17-3, and won their final six games.

"It was a great win," said Roenick, who had a goal and an assist on the
night.  "It was just another great Maine hockey game.  We just did the same
formula that won us 15 of 18."

Roenick planned to get an agent and get down to business at working on a
contract with the Hartford Whalers, who hold his draft rights.

Captain Reg Cardinal, who enjoyed his best season as a Black Bear with 15
goals and 18 assists and 33 points, gave credit to the coaching staff for
Maine's impressive turnaround, and keeping Maine as a national contender
through all the off ice distractions.

"[The] coaches kept us positive over the last few years," Cardinal said.  "It
was rough for us but we got through it.

"It's good to finish off on a winning note," Cardinal added.

Walsh took time out to give credit to someone no longer with the team.

"Greg [Cronin] kept the ship afloat," Walsh said.  "I'll never forget [that]."

Walsh praised the efforts from his team.  "It astounds me how this team has
come along," Walsh said.  "You think about how long it will take to bring
[the program] back.  Well, we are back."

Maine opens their 1997-98 season at perennial power Minnesota on
October 17 and 18.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])