ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:10:11 -0500
In no particular order (parental warning follows at end):

YOU MADE ME DO IT
Referee Noeth can't be given full blame for the large number of
first-period penalties in the championship game.  I'm told that Maine's
instructions were to hit early, hit hard and hit often in the game.  Noeth
saw that, and the inevitable New Hampshire reaction, and surely wanted some
degree of control in the hope of avoiding general goonery. Likely he was
told of the physical play in games between these teams over the last two
seasons.

By the third period, there were plenty of good checks, but more of the
cleaner variety, certainly calmed down due to the deadlocked score.

In the first contest, Michigan State did not nearly put the wood to New
Hampshire like Maine did consistently in the final game.

I agree Noeth's dancing with the A-A mascot at the pre-game was degrading.
Undoubtedly it was not his idea.

WAS THERE EVER A DOUBT
that the band and WMEB would be sent to Anaheim ?

BIG CREASE = PLACE FOR SKATE
I noticed that the Pond had painted the crease to the larger arc size used
before the NHL reduced theirs this season (no truncated ends past the
goalposts toward the corners).  I think that extra space was where the
skate travelled to negate the "third" Maine goal.  If it were the smaller
crease I think we might have had an early 3-0 backbreaker.

COACHING COMPARISON
From the LA Times article on Coach Walsh: (thanks Jacob for the link)

"In truth, it might have been more of a feel-good story had the Wildcats won.
Coach Dick Umile has also been successful and is celebrated as one of the
game's
consummate gentlemen, running a top-notch program that has never been
tainted by a hint of scandal."

My only retort to that -- Apparently they don't read Foster's Daily
Democrat in la-la Land.

FLASHBACK TO LAST YEAR'S FINALS
Remebering the sight in the last row of Section 315 of the Fleet Center
balcony -- Shawn Walsh wearing all black and standing on the seats leaning
against the back wall of the FleeceCenter watching the games.  Was he
sending a message, or what ?  Now we know...

I had thought, though, he was preparing the team to challenge in the finals
of the 1999-2000 season.  oops.

ONTO D.C.
Coach Walsh's comment at the Doubletree celebration that Senators Snowe and
Collins will insure the team visits the White House seemed to have
overlooked two other sure paths to a reward from the President.

Consider these former Maine Senators might be in good position to snag an
invite: current Defense Secretary Cohen (could also arrange a military
transport to fly the team from Bangor to Washington) or the
roving-ambassador Mitchell (could also mediate the long-standing feud
between Coach Walsh and Jackie Parker of BU).

It seems, though, that Hillary is the key to the invite.  Oh, well, thank
the ladies.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE...
keep me from strangling the Pond's PA announcer.  Is it some West Coast
thing that fans have to be told when a team returns to full strength after
serving out a penalty ?   We heard the same thing at the Las Vegas Thunder
game earlier in the week. And his "please credit the assist" phrase...hey,
pal, we would have done it even if you didn't say please.  What does this
guy do when the WWF comes to town ??

Although I must say, the Pond certainly replaced Disneyland for me in one
evening as "the happiest place on Earth".

SPEAKING OF DISNEYLAND...
I can see it now:

open to clip of post-game celebration of Maine's winning goal

fade to Coach Walsh coming onto the ice to meet the team

fade to close-up of Coach Walsh in a one-shot on ice

     ANNOUNCER (off-camera)
"Coach Shawn Walsh, your Maine team has just won the 1999 Men's Frozen
Four...what are your going to do now?"

my mind now fogs up like a cool Maine summer morning...

MISSING IN ACTION ?
Where was Stephen King through all this ?

MISSING IN ACTION (2)
Too bad New Hampshire couldn't throw the damn fish, eh ?  I hope it rotted
in someone's pants each night.  You know, come to think of it, some
passengers on American Airlines flight 12 from LAX to Boston on Sunday
afternoon did seem to have a funny smell...

CASHING IN ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP -- MY THOUGHTS
In the interests of fund-raising, and to honor the last Championship of the
90's, I have a suggestion -- retire the current Maine uniforms.  Selling
new duds could raise serious $$$ for the program, and perhaps a new look
could invigorate the team for the next campaign.  Combining this with the
new HE equipment deal, the timing might be the absolute best for the Maine
program.

Suggestion -- put the Maine snarling bear on the front, with the name Maine
on the sleeves like the Bruins do with their third sweater (the yellow
"Pooh").  Keep the dark blue for road games, but put the bear in a large
white dot.

NEUTRAL ICE COMPARISON
Maine was 2-0 vs. New Hampshire this past season on regulation size neutral
ice (85 x 200) -- Governor's Cup in Lowell and the NC$$ Final at the Pond.
And Alfie didn't even play in the Lowell game !! Credit to Morrison in goal
for fine work in that first meeting and sending a BIG message.

And, stranger than truth, the game winner for Maine in the one-goal
Governor's Cup victory was scored by none other than Marcus Gustaffson.
Wait, is that Rod Serling's ghost I see ?

MICROBEER ?
Sam Adams on draft in Los Angeles ?  At least with Redhook they admit they
are a national product and don't hide their East Coast brewery (well worth
a stop on the Spaulding Tpk. on the way to / from Maine or back from the
Whit -- try the cask conditioned product always on dispensed using their
beer engine).

LET'S ROLL THE VIDEO TAPE
Anyone have a copy of the tape of the Thursday game from the Deuce ?
e-mail privately with information as to availability / terms.  Thanks.

finally,

BEST CHEER HEARD AT THE FINAL GAME (with parental guidance warning):

Shouted to New Hampshire:  "your team sucks Dick Umile"  (creative
insertion of a single comma or pause after any one of the three middle
words in the phrase, then reading it aloud, is only suggested for adults.
Enjoy)

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***

Maine - National Champions 1993 and 1999 -
first in the new Millenium ?