ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:49:30 -0500
Man do I feel old ...

Hanson calls an old-style game, not letting the linesmen call anything.
With that you miss a lot, and he did.  Unfortunately, BU understands
that and Whitehead and players seem to ignore it.

IMHO, Whitehead was wrong in blowing up on Hanson ... no matter what
happened.  The players were (repeatedly!) wrong in retaliating and
instigating.  Yes, Leveille was viciously hit several times, but he
deserved all his penalties, and "asked" for at least his last one
Saturday.  I would have given him 2 and 10.  Purcell and Hamilton would
also have DQs (maybe game misconduct for Hamilton) if I was Hanson.
Both Maine 10-minute misconducts were justified.  If you skate at the
official while yelling and arms flapping after he gives you 2 minutes,
you've got to expect a response.  Maine whined, retaliated and was not
nearly good enough to win the Saturday game.  (Friday, Maine played a
great game ... except in goal).

As has happened more than a couple times this year, Maine allowed many
more odd-man rushes than they created.

All that said, BU did a great job of interfering with the goalie,
cross-checking, holding the body and stick, and knocking the net away
just as things got interesting ... without getting penalized.  Blame
Hockey East for the officiating ... Hanson was what he always is.

I thought BU players MacArthur and Morrow (aren't they and Sullivan in
their 7th year?) played like All-Americans.

Let's see ... BU comes to the Alfond and the Maine coach is the one to
make the childish, disrespectful actions.  BU changes their fore check
near the end of the Friday 1st period, intercepts a poor clearing pass
and scores.  Clearly, Maine has little to be proud of this weekend. :-(

Maine was good at one thing: no one was talking about what really
happened wrt Sill & Czuba.

My opinions only, some meant just to provoke discussion.

cheers, wayne