ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 01:26:36 -0500
First viewing of Maine in New England for me in the current campaign:

Shades of Ohio State Game 1 and Northeastern tonite for our National
Champions visiting the (upgraded somewhat) Volpe Center at Merrimack
College. No loss, but not a win either (and barely the point at that), 3-3.

Maine as defending champion cannot continue to take opponents lightly, and
set the cruise control for any more than the occasional shift or two.
Teams are getting
pumped to play you, guys !!!  Ten-minute stretches sponsored by Sominex
(profs. will complain no doubt about this creeping commercialsm) will not
get us past BC on Sunday, let alone to the FleeceCenter, Albany or on to a
consecutive Last Four appearance.  The tools are there, IMHO, but the
consistency factor is not.  Yeats and Morrison are least to blame, so don't
tinker around there.

Bad vibes in the early going.  Several Maine clearing passes headed
directly for the tape on Merrimack sticks; lucky for the boys they couldn't
capitalize.  Fluke deflection off this year's new boards at the Volpe put
puck squarely in front of goal, whilst Matt Yeats squarely BEHIND goal,
leading to early 1-0 advantage for Merrimack.

Distinct feeling of lack of intensity on the part of our own Anaheim Angels
tonite.
Only for a short while after they heard the what-for from Coach Walsh
during a timeout called after the score went to 3-1 for the home squad, did
our visitors show real fire like we supporters know is in them.  It must
happen for the entire game !!!

Well, Brendan Walsh drew another 10 for "diving", again in the late going
of the third period.  It seems it's not just the Western refs who are
looking for his number... maybe he should try something else to express his
displeasure when calls go against Maine.

All in all, not a stellar performance.  One will be necessary at a packed
Conte Forum rink, always tough for the Black Bears, against a team itself
losing tonite.  Ah, the Tong Wars again...

Now, my Merrimack compliments:

1.  I can dress for a climate other than Antarctica since they re-did the
heating from the old gas things...

2.  The entrance foyer is much more accommodating, but still too small,
especially when Maine is in town.

Now, my Merrimack complaints:

1.  What's the deal with closing the Rt. 125 entrance roadway?  Whoever
must have complained to set this off certainly did no one a favor.  How
about posting more signs about the closure, especially when a large school
sign is still along the roadside on Rt. 125 ?  This new pattern only
funnels more traffic and crowds through the campus elsewhere, IMHO.  The
Rt. 125 entrance closing on game nights should be re-thought.

2.  Let's start a contest:  New slogans for Merrimack students to yell
beside: "(insert name of opponent) sucks".  Although being
borderline-profane in modern usage, its constant repetition was most
annoying.  Hey, kids: try something new; and, oh yes, try confession
tomorrow at chapel on campus.

3  Why did the Merrimack off-ice officials argue with the referee over not
restoring several seconds which clearly ticked off the clock after an icing
call just before the knotting tally ?  Don't go by JUST a whistle, look for
the arm being raised by a linesman.

4  Merrimack students threw bottles and debris on ice after tie score.
Bush league.  Where was a penalty ?  Where was security ?   Where was Joe
Torre ?

5.  A dozen or so Merrimack students crossed over during overtime to
opposite side of rink to wave Merrimack flag in a nearly all-Maine seating
area.  Why do I get the impression that they were trying to instigate
something, especially when you consider it occurred minutes after the
bottle-throwing incident ?  And why were they allowed to cross over behind
the (east ?) goal when others who were looking simply to leave the arena
were denied the right to do so ?  Maine fans, to our credit, refused to
take the bait.

All in all, very much unlike the many previous visits I have had to North
Andover; and, not because of the final tally.

Dan Doucette

Maine - National Champions 1993 and 1999 -
first in the new Millennium ?

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.