ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:05:21 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender: Here is today's Portland Press Herald article.

This story has been sent to you from 'Portland Press Herald' at http://www.portland.com
and can be found online at: http://www.portland.com/news/sports1.shtml

  Saturday, January 30, 1999

 Kariya leads Maine

  By KEVIN THOMAS
 Staff Writer

  Copyright  1999 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

    Caption.    PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College awoke from its daze in the second period but it was too late.

  Steve Kariya had already done most of his damage.

  Kariya scored two first-period goals and later added two assists to lead the University of Maine to a 7-4 win over Providence College, before 2,718 at Schneider Arena Friday night.

  Kariya ended a sizzling January schedule with seven goals and 14 assists in 10 games. He also notched his fifth four-point game and 14th multi-point game this season.

  "He's tremendous,'' Providence Coach Paul Pooley said. "He's the type of player who you want on the ice all the time.''

  Kariya's performance was in danger of being wasted when the Black Bears almost blew a 4-0 lead, letting Providence close to 4-3.

  But Maine goalie Alfie Michaud (28 saves) held on. The win kept the Black Bears knocking at the door atop Hockey East. Maine moved to 11-2-2 in the conference, still one point behind New Hampshire (12-2-1), a 5-4 winner Friday over North- eastern.

  Maine is riding a five-game winning streak and is 19-2-4 overall. Providence remained in fourth place in the league at 8-7, 13-11 overall.

  "I sensed in practice that we were really ready to play,'' Maine Coach Shawn Walsh said. "We were jumping at the start. That's as good a period as we've played all year.''

  Maine took a 3-0 first-period lead, outshooting the Friars 20-10.

  Kariya scored first during a Providence power play. Flying down the right boards, Kariya passed across to Cory Larose. He touched it back to Kariya, who stuffed in the short-hander at 5:38 of the first period.

  Ben Guite scored on a Maine power play at 7:20 and then Kariya made it 3-0 on a faceoff at 16:18. Larose won the faceoff, Anders Lunback sent the puck to the net, where a grateful Kariya swatted it in.

  Maine made it 4-0 in the second period. Kariya rifled in a pass from the boards and Barrett Heisten drilled it at 4:02.

  Thoughts of a rout disappeared when Providence scored three goals in a span of 4 minutes and 20 seconds, closing to 4-3.

  "They can score,'' Walsh said of the Friars' league-leading 4.3 goals a game. "Make a mistake and it's in the net.''

  Maine got two back in the period. On a breakaway, Kariya sent a crossing pass, which Larose one-timed at 12:44. Then Jim Leger scored a wrap-around goal with 11 seconds left in the second period for a 6-3 advantage. The Kariya-Heisten-Larose line enjoyed a favorable January with 21 goals and 29 assists.

  "We have a lot of chemistry,'' Kariya said. "But the one thing I like about this line is that all the guys are driven to be better, to have a better game, a better shift every time out.''

  Providence started the third period with a power-play goal at 2:26, closing to 6-4.

  On another Friars power play in the closing minutes, Providence pulled its goalie for a 6-on-4 advantage. But  Leger stole the puck and Bobby Stewart scored a short-handed empty-netter at 18:37.

  Maine is off until another away game next Friday, at Northeastern.

  NOTES: Maine has been waiting for the NCAA to approve the eligibility of  juniors star Tommy Reimann of Blaine, Minn., and hope to make an official announcement next week. Reinman was the leading scorer in the U.S. junior leagues last year with 117 points in 54 games.  .]. ].  Black Bears out with injuries were Brendan Walsh (knee), Peter Metcalf (ankle) and Vitorino (ankle). Vitorino is out for 2-3 weeks while Walsh and Metcalf could be back next weekend.

  . . . Maine's next home game is Feb. 7, at 7 p.m., against New Hampshire. It will be televised on Fox Sports New England, at 7 p.m. . . . Sophomore Matt Libby of Saco started his 23rd game for Providence. He recorded no points and has three goals and four assists this season.