ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 20:48:07 -0400
Forwarded:
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Gophers Let Mich Off Hook /Up next: Gophers VS Maine
Date:    97-10-11 20:44:08 EDT
From:    VPPrice
To:      [log in to unmask]

Star Tribune/ Saturday October 11, 1997
Excerpts quoted directly from article:

The Gophers pondered lots of possible reasons for their 3-2 loss to Michigan
in Friday's Hall of Fame Game at Target Center. The team had practiced only
six times. Four freshman were in the lineup, and many players grew tired late
in the game, the Gopher's first this season.

The Gophers were disappointed that they let a two goal lead slip away as they
lost their third consecutive game to the Wolverines.

Coach Doug Woog was pleased with the play of his goalies and key forwards,
and he got a good look at his freshman. But, too many turn arounds and a lack
of aggression at crucial times left him disatisfied--and left the Gophers
with plenty to work on before the regular season opener next Friday against
MAINE.

The Gophers took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Dave Spehar and
Mike Anderson. Woog used all three of his goalies, beginning with Steve
DeBus, who gave up two goals on 17 shots. DeBus was replaced in the second by
Willy Marvin, who stopped all five shots he faced in 16:31 of play. Erik Day
finished the game, giving up one goal on six shots in 10:51.

"We had trouble establishing our forechecking and that bothered me to some
degree." Woog said. But Debus was solid and we moved the puck around well on
the power play. The guys we're going to count on this season did a good job.

Woog said he expects the Gophers to be a speedy, skilled team this season,
and he will count on six forwards to carry the offense.
Spehar playing with Ryan Kraft and Wyatt Smith, Mike Anderson. Reggie Berg
and Casey Hankinson (captain) from there,the Gophers grew rather meek and
were unable to effectively fight their way into the Wolverines zone to set up
plays.

"We need to work on our aggressiveness, especially in the offensive end,"
Kraft said. "I think it would have been a different story if we had picked it
up in the third period instead of hanging back. A lot of it had to do with
fatigue and the fact that we hadn't played together that much. But we could
have done things a lot better."

Notes: Freshman forwards Westrum, Leimbeck and Senden played on the Gophers
fourth line. Freshman Miskovich played  on the third line with Pagel and
Miller.

Vicki Price