EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
David Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:51:24 -0400
I have suspected that the reference was to the Salassi -- a people of
the Italian Alpine region who were subjugated by Augustus.  Perhaps,
given the association of the music with bird songs, the reference is
to the geographic region rather than the historic Salassi themselves?

This is just a thought; I don't know of any documentation or
references to support it.

Hope this helps!
David Griffith