EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John Rider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:25:23 -0700
I think it is important to keep in mind that in EP's time it was a
common practice to drive a metal rod into people's heads and move
it to and fro in order to sever the connection of the temporal
lobes to the rest of the brain.  They had figgered out sine-tifickly
that this connection was partly responsible for people `acting up'.

It got results.  People got real calm afterwards.  Nearly catatonic.
Nice manageable vegetables.

I don't think we should be too trusting of modern PSYCHIATRY, believing
it it to be sacrosanct, especially in comparison to mere psychology.
Its true they have come a long way.  They now only do chemical lobotomy.
Still, once people have been diagnosed they are usually virtually
condemned to a life of chemically induced stupor.

Psychiatry has come a long way.  But imagine how much further it can go.

-John

"Once upon a time I was always talking of freedom.  At breakfast I used
 to spread it on my toast, I used to chew it all day long, and in company
 my breath was delightfully redolent of freedom.  With that key word I
 would bludgeon whoever contradicted; I made it serve my desires and my
 power.  I used to whisper it in bed in the ear of my sleeping mates and
 it helped me to drop them".            - Albert Camus, `The Fall'