ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 07:42:26 EDT
Our own Gabarra was the fan chosen to pull down half of the championship
banner, along with a student.  Unfortunately the moment was spoiled by the
uncooperative rope JG had on his side.  What happened, John?  I was waaaay
down at the other end and had in my way a plethora of huge cameras attached
to equally huge photographers, all so focused on the spot where the banner
was supposed to gracefully drift to they reminded me of my uncle's
championship German Shorthairs on point.  They had to be told, (by me and yes
I enjoyed it) that the rope had broken and that the moment they were posed
for "wahn't happnin'!", which understandably annoyed them.  What's the plan?
Are they gonna try again tonight?

It certainly was different to walk into the rink and not be responsible for
anything.  I talked to a lot of people, from Arnie - the potato guy - (who
skulks around reading this list, but never posts!!!) to Joy the 50 50 lady,
to friends and all kinds of people who know me, but whose names I have never
been able to find out.  For the first time in a long time, I sat in the
stands during the hours before a game, and watched:  the Minnesota players
sitting around working on their equipment and their reflexes (did anyone else
see the MN player juggling off the glass?), the media guys trying for an
interview, the cleanup crew washing down the seats to loud music, young Mr.
Janik with his new Elvis sideburns taping his sticks for the night with such
precision and care, the students being loud and wonderful, Jean Grondin, the
octogenarian who, with the Averills, helped my husband & I put on the first
team banquet at our house 18 years ago...  I almost felt - I dunno -
displaced.  But I see it as a process to regain for myself the fun of Maine
Hockey, something that got lost when I was "responsible".  I didn't stay the
whole game.  It was just too hard.  But soon I'll be back to screaming my
head off for 60 minutes in support of the Bears, and talking in a husky
whisper for the rest of the week!

Great start to the season!

GO MAINE!

Cathy Hart