ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mathy Matturro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:10:26 -0500
this is an article that was written a while ago...it will not be
published in the Maine Campus....i just thought that some of you might
be interested......please over look any editing mistakes...i am the
worse speller on the face of the planet

Cory Larose

        So I had the great opportunity to meet with a member of the Mens Ice
Hockey Team earlier this week, Cory Larose.  I was surprised at his
great enthusiasm for the interview and really enjoyed talking with him,
despite the fact that i have embarrassed myself in front of him before.

        Cory comes to us from Campbellton New Brunswick.  Both of his parents
are teachers which would explain Cory's strong beliefs in having a firm
ground in his academic endeavors.  He is a Communication major and says
that if he can't go all the way with his hockey, at least he will have
a strong background in Communications.  He says, "You just gotta have
something to fall back on."  He also added that being from Canada, he
was given the opportunity to play in the Junior Leagues, but coming to
the US for school would not only give him the chance to improve his
game, but give him a chance to achieve some of this academic goals.  He
mentioned, "Look at Jeff Libby, his hockey career could be over, but he
will have his educational background."  Cory was referring to former
Maine Black Bear Jeff Libby that just recently suffered a horrible
injury possibly causing him to lose his eye sight completely in one of
his eyes.
        I asked Cory what he thought about this years teams unity.  He told me
bluntly that there obviously has to be unity in order to preform.  All
of them are together all the time, for some off the ice as well as on.
They are, as he put it, "A tight knit group."  I asked him if he though
there are any tensions on the team between players.  He said, "A little
tension is healthy."  I am sure that they are not having brawls in the
locker room or anything of that manner but it is true, tension often
proves for better competition.  "Everybody doesn't get along all the
time."   Most importantly he added, "The team comes first."
        I decided to bring up the topic of student participation.  In my mind,
there is nothing more important at a game then screaming fans.  I mean
it would be boring to play at a game if no one went, right?  Apparently
Cory and I are on the same wave length.  He agreed with me that fans
are a very important aspect of the game.  "The students at BU and UNH
are out of control," he said about opposing teams school sprit.  The
new Maine-iac section, created by Shawn Walsh, has helped out allot.
"The louder the better, it gets us going."  Now, if that is not a clue
to every student on this campus to show up at games, then i don't know
what is.  Student participation in the games actually help the players
to preform at their best.  "It wouldn't be the same in here without the
fans,"  Cory commented, hint...hint...
        Cory and I also discussed what it was like to work with Shawn Walsh
and play for this program.  He told me that Walsh was a great coach.
Cory said that working with him has only made him better.  He admits
that one might not always agree with everything that Walsh says or
does, but you just gotta trust him.  "Coach always wants to make you
better."  Bottom line, Cory has nothing but the utmost respect for
Shawn Walsh.   University of Maine has always been Cory's top choice.
He had many chances to play out west, yet he chose to come to Orono.
He said that he had always wanted to come here.  I asked him if he had
any other reason for coming here besides hockey.  Larose said that it
would have to be the education.  Cory feels that education is a huge
magnet to this school.  It is safe to say that Cory Larose defiantly
has a good head on his shoulders.
        Interviewing Cory was a great honor.  I feel that he has great
potential this year to be nothing but amazing.  He already is second on
the team with 8 points, trailing Karyia who is first with 10.  He has
played in all 5 games accounting for 4 goals and 4 assists.  This
weekend when we travel for our first Hockey East competition away from
home against UMass-Amherst, I wish him nothing but the best of luck.  I
was very impressed with his down to earth mannerism and comfortable
attitude.  He made it very easy for me to ask him questions and for
that I thank him!  i hope that i get the chance to speak with him again
sometime...embarrassing situation or not.