EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:29:16 -0600
Dear List:

I found a fairly new (2001) translation of "Instructions for King Merikare"
this afternoon.  It is in "Ancient Egyptian Literature: An Anthology" by
John L Foster.  Foster translates the line as "The heaven of a man is his
good Nature".  This is the first professional Egyptologist I have found to
use the word order Boris did.  As Foster is still available I intend to ask
him concerning this word order.  I may have been absolutely wrong and this
looks like a good opportunity to find out.

I think my initial inquiry may be still appropriate.  Boris seems to have
picked a very poetic way to translate the "Instruction" and attracted
Pound's attention with the charged word "paradise".  I am curious as to the
coincidences and implications.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM