ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:08:37 -0500
Some comments from last night...

What a dominating performance from Maine.  Merrimack showed some life in
the third, but for two periods Maine dominated the Warriors completely, but
give Cris Classen credit, he played well when he had to and even the MC
defense came up with some big clears, but there was no question after this
one that Maine was head and shoulders above Merrimack.

I wonder if MC didn't lose something by earning a big win vs. BC Friday,
then having to make the long trip north.

Both teams had a goal dispute in this game.  Maine's Guite scored on a
wraparound that was called back for either a man in the crease or by
deflecting off a skate.  Certainly if it was a skate it was an MC
defenseman, but a man "may" have been in the crease, but I was right there
and it looked like a goal.

With MC trailing 2-0, a long shot rang off the crossbar that Merrimack
thought was a goal.  I was looking at the goal straight on, but from the
other end of the ice.  It clearly hit the crossbar/post, but neither the
goal judge or the referree called it a goal despite MC raising their sticks
in celebration.  In fact MC stopped playing for a few moments, while Maine
brought the puck up ice.

Credit Maine with putting MC away at that point.  It was 2-0, though it
could have been so much worse if not for Classen (Maine had at or near 30
shots through 2 periods).  After the MC non-goal, Maine comes right down
and scores to make it 3-0.  I was a bit concerned at this point about
Maine's inability (once again) to put the opposition away, but this was a
critical junction of the game and a huge goal.

I though Niko Dimitrakos looked fantastic again, and Dan Kerluke's great
speed set up one of Maine's goals.  Niko, Kerluke and Guite are a great
line right now and are playing better IMHO than Kariya, Larose and Heisten.
 To have two great lines is key for Maine, but also with only Kariya
leaving this year from those two lines I think Maine will still light the
lamp often next season.

David Cullen was once again immense and Eric Turgeon returned to the lineup
with assists on the first two goals -- way to go Eric!

This may be an unpopular comment, but I wish Kariya and Larose would stop
trying to be so cute.  This line isn't working as well as they could be
right now and in my opinion it is because Kariya and Larose are trying to
be cute.  In Maine's 4-1 loss to BU, Larose turned the puck over at our
offensive blue line a number of times by trying to make cute little plays,
and Kariya is simply looking to make the pass too much right now.  Heisten
is going hard to the net and if Larose and Kariya just keep going to the
net as well, that line will start racking up the points again.

Bring on UNH.

-dt
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living
that wears you out."    - Anton Chekhov