EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:28:29 +0800
Dear Mr Korg,

Thank you very much for the reply. Put like that I entirely agree and
unreservedly withdraw the word 'arrogance' - which was, I hope, put as a
query, not as a confident imputation. At the risk of advertizing my own
work, I raise a series of difficulties about the use of psychotherapy on
historical figures who are no longer available to the 'couch' in a letter
that forms a postscript to Andrew Relph, 'Psychotherapy, Architecture and
the Postmodern Attitude. An Essay', The Australian and New Zealand Journal
of Family Therapy, 19: 3 (September 1998), 135-46 and record some
contemporary, perhaps rather superficial verdicts on EP's mental health in
'The Letters of Adrian Stokes and Ezra Pound' which will appear in the next
issue of Paideuma.

With best wishes also,

Richard Read.

>Dear Mr. Read: I don't think I replied to your reply about "amateur
>psychotherapy." I do think, as you suspect, that you have me wrong. I
>certainly have no objections to "psychotherapy" -- far from it, as an
>old-fashioned Freudian. The key word is "amateur." One of our
>correspondents completely missed the irony of that, and thought I was
>referring to some recognized or established practice. Anyhow,the point of
>my posting was to suggest that those of us who are planted in literary
>study ought to avoid making medical diagnoses such as Mr. Redman proposes
>to perform on Pound unless they are properly qualified.I fail to see the
>"arrogance" of that.
>                                        With best wishes,
>                                        Jacob Korg

Dr Richard Read                            Email [log in to unmask]
Senior Lecturer
School of Architecture and Fine Arts
The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA 6009                        Tel +61 8 9380 2140
Australia                               Fax 8 9380 1082