EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:32:42 -0500
Cindy,
You should be able to find Whitman's LEAVES OF GRASS in almost any new
bookstore, used bookstore, garage sale, or flea-market. Your teacher is
being "very creative" (see Roz Chast's cartoon "The Berlitz Guide to
Parent-Teacher Conferences" on page 86 in the Nov 15th, 1999 issue of The
New Yorker for an explanation of what that means) if he or she expects you
to write such an essay if you are familiar with Whitman's greatest hits.
Tell your teacher you want to read all of the poems in the original edition
of Leaves of Grass before you write your essay, and ask for one-week
extension. Just think of Whitman's poems as song lyrics for which the music
has been lost.
Tim Romano