ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:10:30 -0500
I'm trying not to be over-enthusiastic after seeing both Maine games in
Beantown this weekend.

Let's try to summarize:

OFFENSE:  15 goals in two games !!  Would have been more if NU and Maine
agreed to play mostly no-check (with of course the exception of Prestin
Ryan) during the final period Friday night.

I think Moore is for real.  Has the right number to take over for Nikko
!!  He is deceptively fast for his ample size.  However, I think part of
how he overwhelmed several defenders for NU and BU was that they didn't
expect the speed...until it was WAY too late.   The league will surely have
him scouted better the rest of this campaign.  Please stay four years !!

I note that Lyall has come out of nowhere this season.  He seems to be
everywhere (finally).

I tried to check whether the passing routine on the PP was more than three
passes to the SOG.  The success on many of Maine's PP goals came from
second shot goals off the rebound.  Remember the old saw:  put it on net,
something good will result.

DEFENCE:  Concerns me the most, especially after dodging a major-league
bullet after giving two 5-3 advantages to BU (yet successfully killing them
off).  Stupid penalty quotient a problem.  Prestin Ryan probably taught
valuable lession by the misconduct in the first period at BU.  Addition by
subtraction, perhaps ?

Loya wears the venerable 2 very well and has stepped up to the challenge of
leading the D.

Liscak is playing excellent two-way hockey and as valuable on D as he is on
offense (notice he is +7)

If they aren't playing Lynch, he probably should be given a chance to come
back to Mass. and play regularly down here.

GOAL:  Without a doubt, this is the best tandem in Maine's pipes since
Snow/Dunham.  Howard can certainly hold his own.  Technically, Howard the
more skilled, especially with control of rebounds and staying with the man,
instead of simply flopping down.  Very impressive on the penalty shot on
Friday night.

Defence most often let the netminders down in the few goals allowed this
past weekend.

MISCELLANY:  First night Maine supporters were numerous at Matthews
Arena.  Good job to those who came by.  Game over at 9.05  -- gotta love
the 15-second rule.

Noticeable no-shows at WBA; surely they were sold, but attendees came
impersonating empty seats.  Miserable weather might have had something to
do with it, and maybe the let-down after BC loss, but on the night honoring
a past BU national championship team ?

Coach - excellent call on taking the TO when you did in the third period at
BU !!!  Team was tired, but the TO was well-set after the last 5-3 was
over, and crowd was mostly out of it.   It did two things...got team's legs
back, and also helped focus the team when lead could have slipped out of
hand.

Next visit for Lindsay and me is the game at Portland.  Get your tickets now !!

Dan Doucette