ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:17:24 EST
Topic 1:

   It's not often that we single out someone on our Maine team to the
   extent we at least think of the possibility that person doesn't
   belong.  Perhaps Nonni or someone else can rein us(me) in with
   better perspective, but until then ...

I'm afraid I saw the same Ryan performance as Dave, Jon and Deron,
although I missed viewing the Voce goal and post-goal attack by Ryan :-(

Ryan did play a shift after that penalty ...  quite a surprise, but
maybe not intended by the coaching staff?  Anyway, he sat for most or
all of the remainder of the game.  IMHO, Ryan is a wonderful talent and
could push Maine into the national tournament, but is handicapped by his
temper.

It would be useful to know why Jeff Bunyan did *not* DQ Prestin, as all
of the descriptions of the act put it into the "intent to injure"
category.  Also, it's my impression that many or most college major
penalties also include the DQ.  Maybe we've missed something?

On the other hand, here we have 2 nights in a row where many fans think
their own player deserved a DQ.  Does the coaching staff believe that,
see something else, or only see the penalty minutes?  Actions over time,
and perhaps a few key reporter questions, will tell.

Jon's comment on sitting Ryan for the 2 games in Florida are
interesting.  On the one hand, the NCAA penalty for a DQ (either night
this weekend) would be two games (DQ's are progressive and Prestin's
already had one this season).  If he's going to sit out, then a 2-game
suspension from the team, including the trip might be in order?

On the other hand, a suspension may have no effect.  Maybe he is out of
control and just has to learn the control ...  by doing ...  or not play
here.  I hope he plays here, as I think he can be one of our all-time
great players.

Topic 2: Niko, keep your stick down.

Topic 3: Jeff Bunyan drives fans crazy, doesn't he?  I'm sure you'll
think I'm crazy when I tell you that I think he's a very consistent
referee, ...  and I suspect the coaches like to have him in their games.
On the other hand, I'd like to think that a more tightly called game
early (Saturday) would have led to a very fast nearly penalty-free game
late.

Topic 4: What was the big delay after the Ryan major?  I didn't time it,
but it felt like 10 minutes of standing around.  That and other 2nd
period delays led to one of the longest periods ever ...  longer than
the leaking kryptonite period, and maybe longer than the lights-out
occurrences of years ago.  What is this, baseball?

Topic 5:  Maine really played well this weekend, including both goalies.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/