ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:05:26 EST
Mathy wrote, in part..
>although it is a great honor and acheivement to be selected for the
>camp...it really sucks for us..when and if they go, that leaves 2 huge

I can't imagine why they'd not want to go.

>holes in our lines.....steve karyia, cory larose, and heisten, are the
>best scoring line for us...i mean who is going to step up and replace

I think of Heisten and Janik as "just one of the guys" ...  good guys to
be sure, but currently not the stars of the team.  Others will get more
ice time and a couple of good players will dress due to their absence.

On the other hand, this team has played well and won close games.  I'm
of the opinion that "we've" yet to show our full potential, but it
doesn't take much for a close game to go the other way.

Despite records, there aren't any "easy" games this season.  There are a
number of games that aren't HEA league games, but this team should also
be playing for as high a ranking as possible in the NCAA tournament
(unlike HEA, there is a huge advantage to a better seeding in the NCAA
tournament).

Back to Heisten and Janik ...

Many hockey pundits tell (anyone who will listen) that Heisten and
perhaps Janik may not be here long.  In coming years they most probably
would be the stars of this team.  I hope they will be and enjoy and
excell in all facets of their life here.  At the next level, they won't
have necessarily have the support structure that they enjoy at U Maine.

So will they get sucked in by the attention of the national/world
spotlight or see that the learning and experience available at U Maine
can prepare them in many ways for the years ahead?

Time will tell.  I wish them the best without reservation!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith          Systems Group -- UNET Technology Services
[log in to unmask]           University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3